Ohio Medicaid - ICD-10 Implementation Update
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services will soon release an interim final rule that includes a new ICD-10 compliance date of October 1, 2015. The rule will require HIPAA-covered entities to continue use of the ICD-9 code set through September 30, 2015. This action is made necessary by enactment on April 1, 2014 of the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (PAMA) (Pub. L. No. 113-93), which delayed adoption of ICD-10 prior to October 1, 2015.
While Ohio Medicaid will not be accepting the ICD-10 code set until the new effective date of October 1, 2015, Ohio Medicaid will stay the course with ICD-10 implementation work by:
- Continuing to process claims with the ICD-9 code set until ICD-10 is adopted as the standard for code sets on October 1, 2015;
- Modifying all systems for the new compliance date of 10-1-2015;
- Continuing remediation and testing activities as originally planned, including external testing for entities electing to participate starting June 2014;
- Continuing updates to the Ohio Administrative Code, including updating ICD-9 to the most recent version of ICD; and
- Revising external outreach and internal training plans to follow the new October 1, 2015 date.
Ohio Medicaid will continue to monitor PAMA impacts and publish updates to our ICD-10 webpage at: http://medicaid.ohio.gov/PROVIDERS/Billing/ICD10.aspx.